Beginning May 2012, MSU Athletics will partner with Ballena Technologies to introduce the OPTIONAL Seat Selection Process, an online seat relocation system based upon a 3-D seating diagram of Spartan Stadium.
Offered to season ticket holders who wish to view and relocate their current season tickets to a more desirable location (based on availability), the Optional Seat Selection Process will provide customers the convenience of self-selecting seats from their home. The Optional Seat Selection Process will be conducted according to the Spartan Fund Donor Priority Order (see here) with specific dates of self-selection announced prior to the process. At the assigned date and time, a season ticket holder will log-in to the online seat-selection program. Upon entrance into the system, season ticket holders will be able to view available seats the associated season ticket cost and applicable scholarship seating gifts, make changes to seat locations if desired, and then confirm and finalize self-selected seats. Customers who adjust their seats during the Optional Seat Selection Process will be provided a follow-up invoice if changes in Scholarship Seating gift requirements are necessary to complete season ticket purchase. Specific instructions and an online tutorial will be available to each season ticket holder prior to and during the Optional Seat Selection Process.
Should season ticket holders not renew their season tickets by May 1, their seat location will be made available to eligible season ticket holders. Season ticket holders who are satisfied with their current seating location in Spartan Stadium DO NOT need to participate in this optional process, however, season ticket holders are advised to renew their football season tickets by May 1 to ensure their seats are not made available during the Optional Seat Selection Process.
As one of the “nation’s most scenic venues”, Spartan Stadium will enter its 89th season as home to Michigan State football in 2012. Since opening in 1923 with a capacity of 14,000, Michigan State has won nearly 70 percent of its games played in Spartan Stadium.
Throughout Spartan Stadium history, a series of projects paralleling the Spartans’ rise to national football prominence have increased the size and capacity of the stadium. The first came in 1935, the year in which the stadium was officially named “Macklin Field,”, boosting the capacity to 26,000. A project in 1948 nearly doubled capacity and after new seats upped the capacity to 60,000 in 1956, the upper decks were added to the east and west stands in 1957, bringing the capacity to 76,000. Called “Spartan Stadium” after the 1957 expansion, the stadium did not see major renovation until 1969 when artificial turf was added to the field. During the summer of 1994, renovations improved sightlines and comfort for fans as Spartan Stadium remained unchanged until 2002 when natural grass was placed on the field. A $64 million expansion project, completed in 2005, featured the addition of nearly 3,000 seats, including 24 suites and a 193-seat press box, bringing capacity to it’s present day status of 75,005 seats.
Spartan Stadium has ranked among the NCAA’s top 25 in attendance each of the last 56 seasons, all with one focus: VICTORY FOR MSU!
1) Why are price adjustments being implemented for the 2012 football season and beyond?
The success of the Spartan football program under head coach Mark Dantonio is unprecedented throughout the history of Spartan football. The desire to remain nationally competitive is not only a goal of the MSU Athletics department, but is expressed by fans and alumni alike.
MSU Athletics is a self-supporting unit of Michigan State University that does not receive general fund support from the university or state. Any and all revenue streams must be analyzed and maximized to support 25 varsity sports.
2) How will price adjustments be utilized by MSU Athletics?
By adjusting the Scholarship Seating program, MSU Athletics generates necessary resources to fund rising scholarship costs and provide opportunities for nearly 600 student-athletes (on scholarship) to compete. By directly supporting scholarship costs, MSU Athletics is able to, in turn, reallocate additional revenue generated to enhance the game day experience for fans with the addition of new video boards and sound system, ensure coaching continuity by funding competitive salaries, and attract talented student-athletes to MSU with improved amenities.
3) I am a current season ticket holder. How do the 2012 Price Adjustments affect me?While 72% of MSU football season ticket holders will not see an adjustment to their season ticket purchase price, all public season tickets will be a consistent price - $308. No longer will a discounted ticket price be offered for Endzone seating. In addition to season ticket cost, individuals seated in Scholarship Seating locations will be required to contribute an associated donation-per-seat (Scholarship Seating gift).
4) Why require a separate scholarship seating donation in addition to season ticket cost?MSU Athletics uses Scholarship Seating gifts to support approximately $11M in annual student-athlete scholarship aid, while providing you, the customer, an 80% tax-deduction. it is important that all Spartans become members of the Spartan Fund.
5) How do I know if I am seated in a scholarship seating location?Seats in the lower level and west side upper deck seating of Spartan Stadium are considered Scholarship Seating areas. A map detailing specific seat locations and the associated donation-per-seat requirement within Scholarship Seating area can be found here.
Securing Your Seats
6) When is the deadline to renew my football season tickets?May 1 is the deadline to renew your season tickets and is the recommended deadline to make your Scholarship Seating gift (if applicable) to avoid delays in the delivery of your season tickets. However, Scholarship Seating gifts may be made until June 30.
7) How do I renew my season tickets and make my scholarship seating contribution (if applicable)?To purchase your season tickets, please contact the Spartan Ticket Office at 1-800-467-8283 or go to www.msuspartans.com and click on “Tickets”.
To make your Scholarship Seating gift, please contact the Spartan Fund at 517-432-4610 or go to www.msuspartans.com/spartanfund and click on “Join/Renew”.